Meatless Monday

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Before I get rollin' on this Meatless Monday post, let me say WOOOOHOOOO! THE SEAHAWKS WON THE SUPERBOWL!! Erik was under the weather all weekend & we were planning to go up to Phoenix to watch the game, but with him being Mr. Sicky-Sick, we decided not to go.  So it was a Superbowl party of two in Tucson; but that did not stop me from going all out on the food & decor (anything for a theme).



Pigs in a Blankie w Jalapeno Cream Cheese

(Vegan!) Spinach & Artichoke dip w Bow Tie Pasta Chips

12th Man Cookies

ANYWAYS. Back to the point. Yesterday, we "celebrated" our first Meatless Monday, and it was quite the success, if I do say so myself.  I made a vegetable lasagna, a recipe I stole from my gal Bethenny.  I changed it up a bit after reading the recipe wrong/not having all the ingredients/hating whole wheat pasta...

Ingredients
4 oz whole wheat lasagna noodles/4 oz regular lasagna noodles
15 oz part skim ricotta
Fresh basil, chopped, to taste (1/3-1/2 cup)
1 small jar of pesto
1/4 cup toasted cashews, chopped
4 oz shredded part-skim mozzarella (let's be real, I definitely used more than that)
Italian seasoning + Parmesan cheese 

Preheat oven to 350. Cook lasagna noodles & set aside.  In a large bowl, combine ricotta, basil, pesto, & cashews.

Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.  Spread 1/3 of pesto mixture into the bottom of the pan. Cover with half the noodles (I did whole wheat, regular, whole wheat, regular).  Spread another 1/3 of pesto mix (& I added some mozzarella cheese here) before adding the rest of the noodles and remaining pesto mix as the final layer.  Top that all off with mozzarella cheese, some Italian seasoning & parmesan and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until it's lightly browned and bubbling.


It was pretty delicious. Even my carnivore of a boyfriend went back for seconds!

xo









1 comment:

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger