Oh My, Shepherd's Pie

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Oh my. I can't believe it literally took me 25 years to try shepherd's pie. I've also never had pot pie. One of Erik's friends was appalled when he heard this several months ago, so he bought me a single serving frozen pot pie. But I left it in my car. And after a couple weeks of "what the heck is that smell?!" I found the pot pie under the passenger seat. So I still have never had a pot pie. But I'm onto something with this shepherd's pie.

Ingredients 
3 russet potatoes
2 tablespoons sour cream
1egg yolk
1/2 cup cream
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound ground beef
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup beef stock
2 teaspoons Worcestershire
1 bag frozen peas
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons parsley leaves


Boil potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and cream. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are smooth.

While potatoes are boiling, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan with beef. Season with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 5 minutes. Add chopped carrot and onion to the meat. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes. In another small skillet over medium heat, cook butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in peas.

Preheat broiler to high. Pour meat and veggie mix in a rectangular casserole dish. Spoon potatoes over meat. Top potatoes with paprika and broil until the potatoes are evenly browned. Top with chopped parsley and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger