Thanksgiving Favorites: Spinach Squares

Saturday, November 16, 2013

I thought it would be fun to post some of my favorite Thanksgiving treats a couple times a week until Thanksgiving hits. I love reading other peoples' holiday traditions & recipes, so I thought I'd share some of mine too. :) First up is Spinach Squares! This is a recipe from my Grandma Grace (or Grandma down-the-shore, as we used to call her when we were living in New Jersey.) Grandma Grace is no longer with us, which makes this recipe so near & dear to my heart because it reminds me so much of her (& is absolutely delicious!!)

Mmmmm Popeye would be proud.

2 10 oz. boxes frozen spinach
1 minced onion
1/4 lb. butter
1 cup grated cheese
1/2 lb. cottage cheese
3 eggs
Salt & pepper

Thaw spinach. Squeeze out all water. (it works best to press spinach between paper towels & squeeze)
Brown onion in butter in skillet. Mix remaining ingredients in bowl and add onion.
Grease an oblong dish and pour mix in.
Bake at 375 degrees for 60 minutes or until firm.


One of my cousins always calls these bad boys "spinach brownies." Which is kinda weird and kinda perfect at the same time. Weird because thinking about a brownie & spinach together is somewhat unappealing; but perfect because 1. They're cut like brownies & 2. They get that delicate crispiness on the top which is oh so delectable!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh YUM.. I love spinach so this would be perfect for me to make. Happy Sunday!

    xo Mel
    turquoise blonde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love spinach, these are definitely for you! :)

      Delete

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger