CARBS!

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My most recent craving has definitely been carbs.  Carbs on carbs on carbs.  Kinda wish it would go back to fruit, but until then, I thought I'd share two of my faves: Garlic Chicken Pizza with White Sauce and Penne Vodka.  While Erik & I were in Vegas this February, we had the most delicious flatbread on Valentine's Day, and since we won't be going back to Vegas anytime soon and I NEED carbs, I attempted to recreate it.  And it wasn't half bad.  
Penne Vodka has always been one of my favorite pasta dishes.  I texted my mom before I made it to make sure I could still eat it and she assured me that all the alcohol burns off when you cook it.  Then she asked me if I was was having Penne Vodka for lunch.  Ummm no mother, our school cafeteria did not start serving Penne Vodka, unfortunately.


Garlic Chicken Pizza with White Sauce 
2 slices of Naan Bread
1 tbsp butter
8 cloves roasted garlic, minced
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
½ tsp black pepper
½ cup skim milk
¼ cup half and half
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
1½ cup boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
¼ cup red onion, diced
¾ cup Mozzarella cheese
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
½ tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Preheat oven to 450.
Melt butter in a small saucepan. Saute roasted garlic for 1 minute.
Add flour, and mix until well blended. Cook for 1 minute.
Slowly whisk in the milk and half & half, stir in the pepper.
Cook for about 3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat, and stir in the parm.
Place 2 slices of Naan Bread on baking sheet. Spread white sause over the bread. Top with chicken, red onions and cheese.
Bake for 17 minutes, or until the crust is golden, and the cheese is melted.
Remove from the oven, sprinkle with herbs. Cut and serve immediately.


Penne Vodka 
6 slices Bacon
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 can tomato paste
1/4 cup vodka
1/2 cup heavy cream
Pinch of nutmeg
1 pound penne
Grated Parmigiano Reggiano

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook penne.
Drain, reserving some pasta water for sauce.
In a large pan, cook bacon over medium heat to render out fat. Cook for about 10 minutes or until cooked. Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook until tomato paste darkens.  Stir in the vodka and cook for a few minutes. Add cream and season with nutmeg and salt to taste. Adjust thickness of sauce with pasta water as needed. Add cooked penne and toss to coat.
Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger